Rode has a new shotgun microphone designed for DSLR cameras – the VideoMic Pro.
It sounds great, is much smaller and you won't have to keep a supply of rubber shockmounts on hand. (The original VideoMic uses small rubber shock mounts that get easily lost.)
Here are other key points about this great mic:
- Broadcast recording quality condenser microphone
- Compact design (only 150mm/6" length)
- Ultra lightweight (only 85g/3oz)
- 9V battery powered, with up to 70 hours battery life (alkaline)
- Integrated shock mounting
- Integrated foam windshield
- 3.5mm stereo mini-jack output (dual mono)
- Two step High Pass Filter (flat, 80Hz)
- Three position level control (-10dB, 0, +20dB)
- Camera shoe mount with 3/8" thread for easy boompole mounting
- Free DeadCat VMP furry windshield*
- Ten year warranty (following online registration)
If you want to hear how this mic sounds, here's a video from Philip Bloom shot with the Rode VideoMic Pro – sounds great!